Working for Britain's interests
Today's world is a small place. What happens across the globe can directly affect the lives of every one of us in Britain.
Britain is a major player on the world's economic and political stage:
Britain, therefore, needs to be represented throughout the world.
- We are the world's fifth largest trading nation, exporting more per head than the USA and Japan.
- We are the world's third largest overseas investor.
- We attract more foreign investment into our economy than any other country except the USA and London is the world's largest currency market.
- We make over 40 millions trips abroad each year.
- We are influential in a wide range of international bodies, including the United Nations, the European Union and the Commonwealth.
Today's Foreign Office needs diplomats and support staff who have an interest in international affairs, who understand this complex world, and who are dedicated to serving the interests of Britain and the British people. In return we can offer you a career encompassing variety, responsibility, challenge and reward. These pages tell you all about what the Foreign & Commonwealth Office does and the kind of careers we offer.