This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.
Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) - logo: link to home page

Animal health & welfare

Home | Contact Defra | About Defra | News | Access to information | Links | Search | Site A-Z
Homepage > Animal health & welfare > Bringing pets to Britain > Pet Travel Scheme > What you need to do > The official PETS certificate - Q&A Pet Travel Scheme logo  

The official PETS certificate - Q&A

Q.1 Why is there a six month wait before the certificate is valid?

This is because an animal that is infected before vaccination would not be protected against rabies. Six months (equivalent to the length of quarantine) is the time needed for most infected animals to display any clinical signs of rabies.

Q.2 Why do people have to wait six months after the successful blood test when there is virtually no rabies reported at all in some PETS countries?

Because "virtually no rabies" isn't "no rabies". Vaccination will not prevent an infected pet from developing rabies. So, to reduce the risk to acceptable levels, we have followed Professor Kennedy's advice that there should be a six month wait after the successful blood sampling.

Q.3 When do I need a new certificate and how do I get it?

If you wish to keep your pet ready to travel under the Pet Travel Scheme you must ensure that your pet is revaccinated against rabies on or before the 'Valid until' date on the PETS certificate. You should then apply to your government-approved vet (in Great Britain a Local Veterinary Inspector) for a new PETS certificate. Take with you your pet, its PETS certificate and its vaccination record.

If your pet is not revaccinated by the 'Valid until' date on its PETS certificate, it will not meet the conditions of the Scheme and will have to be vaccinated and blood tested again. The result of the blood test must show satisfactory protection against rabies. Your pet will then have to wait six months from the date the blood sample was taken before being able to enter the UK.

Q.4 What do I do if my certificate was made out for one year but my pet was given a rabies vaccine that lasts for two years?

You must still get your pet revaccinated against rabies by the 'Valid until' date on the PETS certificate. Follow the procedure in the answer to Question 3.

Q.5 Will the certificate get my pet into countries other than the UK?

The certificate should be produced for entry to Austria. It will not gain your pet entry to any other country except the UK.

Q.6 What do I do if I don't have an official PETS certificate?

If you have not been issued with one, you will have to get one from a government-authorised vet in a qualifying country. You will need to take your pet, its vaccination record card and blood test result with you. In Cyprus, the certificate must be one produced by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus.

Q.7 What do I do if I have lost my certificate?

You will need to obtain a new certificate from a government-authorised vet in a qualifying country. The vet will need to be satisfied that your pet meets the necessary requirements of the Scheme i.e. it has first been microchipped, then vaccinated and has then had a blood test showing satisfactory protection against rabies.

Page last modified: July 7, 2003
Top | Feedback | Help | Access Keys | Copyright   Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs