The following five formal objectives for the Commission were agreed at the first meeting in May 2004.
1. To generate new ideas and action for a strong and prosperous Africa, using the 2005 British presidencies of the G8 and the European Union as a platform;
2. To support the best of existing work on Africa, in particular
the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD) and the
African Union, and help ensure this work achieves its goals;
3. To help deliver implementation of existing international commitments towards Africa;
4. To offer a fresh and positive perspective for Africa and its diverse culture in the 21st century, which challenges unfair perceptions and helps deliver changes; and
5. To understand and help fulfil African aspirations for the future by listening to Africans