The RN Today Basic Facts
The 8 Defence Missions of the Royal Navy
- Contribute to the security of the UK and its citizens world-wide in peacetime, including providing military aid to civil authorities.
- Contribute to the internal and external security of the UK's Overseas Territories, e.g. Bermuda, Gibraltar and the Falklands.
- Participate in the Defence Diplomacy initiative through the building of international trust.
- Support British interests, influence and standing abroad extending to the support of defence exports.
- Participate in Peace Support and Humanitarian Operations.
- Provide forces required to counter a strategic attack on NATO.
- Maintain capability to mount a response to a regional conflict outside NATO which could adversely affect European Security or UK interests.
- Provide forces needed to respond to a regional conflict inside NATO where an Ally calls for assistance under Article 5 of the Washington Treaty.