This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.
Link to Directgov homepage

Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Duplicate driving licence, replacing if lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed

You must replace your driving licence if it has been lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed. You can do this by telephone, by post, or you may be able to use the premium checking service.

Apply online

You can replace your driving licence using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) secure online service.

Interactive tool

We are always trying to improve our service, and have created a way for you to get the most accurate information based on your individual need as an alternative to the content below. If possible, please use our interactive tool and give us your comments when you have completed it.

Apply for duplicate photocard driving licence by phone

If your photocard and paper counterpart have been lost or stolen and none of the details on your licence have changed, you can apply for a duplicate licence by telephone using a credit or debit card. The fee for a duplicate licence is £22.00. The DVLA accepts Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard, Solo, Electron and Maestro. To use this service ring 0870 240 0009, Monday to Friday 8.00 am - 8.30 pm or Saturday 8.00 am - 5.30 pm.

Apply for a duplicate photocard driving licence by application form

You can also apply for a duplicate photocard driving licence using the D1 application form that is available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office® branches. Send your completed application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB.

You will need to replace your licence if either your photocard or your D740 paper counterpart has been individually lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed. Using the D1 application form, return it with the remaining document (photocard licence or paper counterpart) and fee.

If your name has changed since your last licence was issued you will need to complete the D1 application form enclose the appropriate fee and provide original documentation confirming your new name. There is no requirement to supply a new photograph.

If you are the holder of a paper driving licence

If your paper driving licence has been lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed, you must complete the D1 application form. You must also enclose original documentation confirming your identity and a passport-type size colour photograph. If your paper licence has been defaced this must also be returned. Send your completed application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB or you may be able to use the premium checking service.

If you find your licence after requesting or receiving your new duplicate photocard driving licence you should return the old licence to the agency with an explanatory letter.

When to expect your licence

DVLA aims to deliver your driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It will take longer if your health or personal details have to be checked.

When your licence is issued it will now have a number of added security features. One of the main differences being a laser engraved black and white photograph.

Please allow at least three weeks for your licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.

Driving before your licence is returned

Once the DVLA have received your valid application, the law allows you to drive before the licence arrives as long as:

  • you have held a GB or Northern Ireland licence issued after 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
  • you are not disqualified from driving (there are different rules for medium or large vehicles, minibus or bus drivers - the traffic commissioner for your area will decide whether to grant your entitlement to drive these vehicles)
  • you have not been, and would not be, refused a licence for medical reasons
  • you keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence

Plastic wallets

Please note that DVLA no longer issues plastic wallets with photocard driving licences. This decision was taken primarily to help minimise the costs of issuing licences to the public. The agency has also received numerous complaints from members of the public about the size of the plastic wallet. Consequently many drivers discard the wallet and use a different way of protecting their licence. Old plastic wallets sent in to the agency cannot be returned

Additional links

Access keys