This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.
Jump to navigation

Crime and victims

Help for vulnerable people

If you're a member of a vulnerable minority group, it's possible you might want extra help or protection from crime. Here's where you'll find it.

Some people are more vulnerable to crime either because of their age, or because their racial, ethnic or religious group is sometimes targeted by criminals.

If you belong to a vulnerable group and you're concerned about crime, consider contacting your local authority or Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership (CDRP) (new window). They work with vulnerable groups to give them a stronger voice on neighbourhood policing priorities.

Hate crimes

If you belong to a minority ethnic or religious group, or if you are gay or lesbian, you may be particularly worried about hate crime.

If you have been victimised because of your ethnicity, religion or sexuality, it is critical that you report the incident to the police. In order to tackle hate crime, the crimes first have to be reported to the police – something some find it difficult to do.

If you are uncomfortable about reporting directly to the police, you could always report the hate crime via a ‘third party reporting centre’. Through these organisations you can report hate crime at locations other than police stations, 24 hours a day, and anonymously.

Third-party reporting centres include:

  • Community Safety Units
  • You local housing office
  • Victim support groups
  • Race equality councils

For more information

For further information and advice on dealing with hate crimes visit:

See Also