Climate change: Publications
- UK emissions trading publications
- Global atmosphere research publications
- Climate change and agriculture
- Archive publications
- The UK’s Fourth National Communication (1.4 MB) to the UNFCCC on its progress towards its Kyoto Protocol target was published on 1 June 2006.
- The 2006 UK Climate Change Programme was published on 28 March, detailing the policies and measures which the UK is using to cut its emissions of greenhouse gases, and how the UK plans to adapt to the impacts of climate change. (28 March 2006)
- Global warming: looking beyond Kyoto (227 KB)
October 2005 paper submitted by Defra's Chief Scientific Advisor, Professor Howard Dalton, given in association with his lecture at the US Yale Centre for Globalization
- India-UK collaboration on impacts of climate change in India - published 8 September 2005
- Government Response to the Environmental Audit Committee: The International Challenge of Climate Change: UK leadership in the G8 and EU - published 19 August 2005
- Results of the joint Defra/DFID Study on Climate Change in Africa - published 16 December 2004
- Consultation document for the Review of the UK Climate Change Programme - published 8 December 2004
- Review of the Defra-funded UK Climate Impacts Programme (UKCIP) - November 2004
Scientific and Technical Aspects
of Climate Change, including impacts and adaptation and associated costs (4.0
MB) - Please note, the advice on our Help page should
be consulted before trying to open or read large Adobe Acrobat documents.
This paper, published by Defra on 14 September 2004, reviews the evidence for climate change, its human causes, projections for future climate change, its likely impacts and related adaptation issues, and the scientific issues surrounding stabilisation of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
Investigating the impacts of climate change
on Chinese agriculture - report published 13 September 2004
This report on Phase I of a China-UK project investigates the impacts of climate change on Chinese agriculture.
- Joint statement by Margaret Beckett and CBI Director General Digby Jones on climate change (9 June 2004)
- "The Day After Tomorrow" - the facts behind the film
- The International Seminar on the Social Costs of Carbon
Scenarios of climate change for islands within the British-Irish Council
(BIC) region (report available from www.british-irishcouncil.org/climatechange)
The report builds on the climate change scenarios for the UK published last year and provides new detail on how climate is likely to change for the islands of the BIC region - Channel islands, Isle of Man, Western Isles, Orkney Islands, and Shetland Islands. A news release has also been issued.
- "Climate change and local communities - how prepared are you?" - available on the UK Climate Impacts Programme (UKCIP) website. The UKCIP have been working with the Improvement and Development Agency (IDeA), the Local Government Association (LGA), Defra, and ODPM, to produce guidance to inform local authority Chief Executives and their service managers of the key implications of climate change for local authority business functions. The publication offers clear practical guidance on why it is in the interests of local authorities to take climate change into account, what issues require early pro-active action, and how they can go about doing this. A news release has also been issued.
- Climate adaptation: risk, uncertainty and decision-making (UKCIP Technical Report published May 2003).
- The scientific case for setting a long-term emission reduction target (paper published 24 February 2003 to accompany the Energy White Paper)
- Ancillary effects of greenhouse gas mitigation policies (paper published 24 February 2003 to accompany the Energy White Paper)
- Impacts of Climate Change: Implications for Defra (11 February 2003) (See also this News Release)
- Assessment of Technological Options to Address Climate Change (December 2002) Imperial College Centre for Energy Policy and Technology, on Strategy Unit website (see also this News Release - 4 February 2003)
- UK Emissions Trading Scheme index page - including finalised Framework for the UK Emissions Trading Scheme, a Summary Guide, Reporting Guidelines, draft Rules, guidance on group participation, plus Regulatory and Environmental Impact Assessment - August-December 2001
- Draft Framework Document for the UK Emissions Trading Scheme - May 2001
- Incentives Bidding Mechanism - May 2001
- Analysis of Responses to Consultation Document: A Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading Scheme for the United Kingdom - May 2001
- Emissions Trading Consultation Paper - November 2000
- Global Atmosphere Research Programme: annual report 2002/2003 - December 2003
- Further GA research project details and publications are also available.
- A MAFF study on climate change and
agriculture in the UK, is available at:
- Methyl Bromide - papers relating to applications for critical use exemption from the phase out of methyl bromide
Change Scenarios for the United Kingdom: The UKCIP02 Briefing Report
Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK.
Change Scenarios for the United Kingdom: The UKCIP02 Scientific Report
Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
The above two reports are published on the UK Climate Impacts Programme web site - www.ukcip.org.uk - see also this news release.
- Implications of Climate Change for Defra
- UK's Third National Communication under the United Nations Franework Convention on Climate Change - October 2001
- Community Leadership and Climate Change - Guidance for Local Authorities - June 2001
- Community Leadership and Climate Change - Guidance for Chief Executives - June 2001
- Projections of Non-CO2 GHG Emissions for UK & Constituent Countries - November 2000
- Energy Paper 68: Energy Projections for the UK - November 2000
(available from Department of Trade and Industry: www.dti.gov.uk/)
- Energy Efficiency Commitment (2002-2005) - August 2001
- Climate Change and UK Nature Conseravation: A Review of the Impact of Climate Change on UK Species and Habitat Conservation Policy
- Review of the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research - November 2001
- Consultation on energy efficiency measures under the climate change levy package - response - April 2000
- Energy efficiency in the domestic sector technical support paper - November 1998
- Global Atmosphere Research Programme: Annual Report 2000-2002
- UK Climate Change Programme - November 2000
- Summary of the UK Climate Change Programme - November 2000
- Government response to the Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs Committee's report on the UK Climate Change Programme - August 2000
- Draft UK Climate Change Programme - March 2000
- Draft UK Climate Change Programme - summary of responses
- A summary of the response to the climate change consultation - August 1999
- UK Climate Change Programme consultation paper - October 1998
Page last modified: 16 February 2007
Page published: 1 December 2005