|The Andes - Venezuela|
UK strategy on Latin America is set out in Latin America to 2020 – a UK Public Strategy Paper, published by the FCO in March 2007.
The Latin America team within the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's Americas & Overseas Territories Directorate. Our aim is to raise the UK's profile in Latin America, promote British interests there, and deliver FCO objectives in the region.
We also aim to have a lively, proactive and well-informed relationship with all the countries of the region, with clear well thought out and well delivered policies.
This means providing a high quality service to our customers:
- Government Ministers - with prompt and accurate policy advice, briefs and speaking notes.
- Our diplomatic missions overseas – with focussed support as their home department in London and clear instructions on action required in the region.
- Other FCO departments – with a distinct Latin American input into FCO-wide policy.
- Other parts of Government – with FCO advice on Latin American affairs for fully joined-up government.
- Latin American diplomatic missions in London – with a helpful service as friend, facilitator and first point of contact in the UK.
- MPs, members of the public, NGOs, academic, business and other contacts – with up-to-date and professional advice and dialogue on UK interests in the region, including through our involvement with the FCO website.
The Latin America team has responsibility for relations with 21 countries. It also has responsibility for relations with a number of regional bodies, such as the Organisation of American States (OAS) and Mercosur (Common Market of the south).
|Angel Falls - Venezuela|
Our job is to promote friendly and productive bilateral and multilateral relationships with the countries of the region. We work with Latin American governments in pursuit of FCO objectives. In particular:
- a world safer from global terrorism and weapons of mass destruction
- protection of the UK from illegal immigration, drug trafficking and other international crime
- an international system based on the rule of law, which is better able to resolve disputes and prevent conflicts
- an effective EU in a secure neighbourhood
- promotion of UK economic interests in an open and expanding global economy
- sustainable development, underpinned by democracy, good governance and human rights
- security of UK and global energy supplies
- security and good governance of the UK's Overseas Territories
We would welcome feedback from the members of the public on the information provided here.
Please send any comments or suggestions to: SA.email@example.com