NHS Employers continues to gather case studies about the use and application of the Knowledge and Skills Framework (KSF) across the NHS, particularly where it has demonstrated clear benefits for staff and patients.
The page gives a brief overview of the case studies we have published in our in our Shared Learning section.
- Linking the KSF to appraisal - this case study outlines how Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust redeveloped its appraisal system to lincorporate elements of the KSF, which has resulted in the number of staff receiving a meaningful apprasal increase.
- Read about how Barts and The London built a network of more than 50 Knowledge and Skills Framework (KSF) champions. The champions have helped to embed the KSF across the trust, raise its profile and introduce the e-KSF tool. Having champions has also helped to support managers to gain the skills and knowledge needed to develop KSF outlines and has enabled a two-way information flow, between central KSF personnel in HR and staff in the workplace.
- Hear how Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust's pharmacy directorate has enhanced the role of the pharmacy technician to that of ward-based technician using the Knowledge and Skills Framework (KSF)
- This case study explains how East Kent Hospitals University NHS Trust went about developing profession specific preceptorship programmes for newly qualified professionals that meet Agenda for Change, Knowledge and Skills Framework (KSF) as well as profession specific and service requirements.
- Hull and East Yorkshire NHS Trust uses the e-KSF tool to support, deliver, monitor, and coordinate the NHS Knowledge and Skills Framework (KSF) process across the organisation. The trust has learnt many lessons in implementing e-KSF and has shared their top tips for the benefit of others who are about to or are in the process of implementing e-KSF across their organisation.
- Find out how Hinchingbrooke Healthcare NHS Trust developed a local intranet site called the 'KSF Zone', giving staff access to all the relevant guidance, documents and materials relating to the KSF process.
- Read about how Suffolk Community Healthcare has successfully integrated the KSF into competency based recruitment.
- Hear about how Luton and Dunstable NHS Foundation Trust linked the KSF to competencies in patient safety.
If you have any examples you wish to share about the benefits of the KSF, please email: email@example.com