Employers must carry out the following checks on all documentation to be able to establish a statutory excuse against a civil penalty:
- Check photographs, where available, to satisfy yourself that they are consistent with the appearance of the individual.
- Check that the date of birth is consistent with the individual's identity documents (see the Verification of identity checks document of the NHS Employment Check Standards).
- Check that expiry dates of any limited leave to enter or remain in the UK are still valid.
- Check any government stamps or endorsements to ensure the individual is entitled to do the work being offered.
- If the applicant provides you with documents that have different names you must request further documentation to explain the reason for this (marriage/civil partnership certificate, divorce certificate, deed poll, adoption certificate or statutory declaration).
- Dates must be cross-referenced with identity documents and work permits, or confirmed by contacting appropriate embassies and consulates.