e-Digest of Environmental Statistics
This section of the Defra website provides summary statistics on the environment in the United Kingdom. Statistics are presented on a number of Topics in the form of Key Facts summarising information and providing links to pages with detailed information, the data and to other web sites.
What's new: a list of recent changes to the e-Digest material presented here.
Publication scheme: schedule for e-Digest data - a list of National Statistics releases
Data and key facts by Topic include:
- Air quality - List of data
- Coastal and marine waters - List of data
- UK Environmental Protection Expenditure by Industry Survey
- Climate Change - List of data
- Inland water quality and use - List of data
- Land use and land cover - List of data
- Ozone Depletion - List of data
- Public Attitudes - to quality of life and the environment
- Radioactivity - List of data
- Waste and recycling - List of data
- Wildlife - List of data
- Supplemental data, general economic, population, energy and transport indicators
- Regional Data - Lists of available data summarised at regional or local authority level
Sustainable Consumption and Production - one of the four priority areas for UK action set out in the Sustainable Development Strategy
Indicators of sustainable development are available from a separate website at:
- Indicators of sustainable development - reviewing progress
- Indicators of sustainable consumption and production
Economics & Statistics information from Defra are available from the website at:
- Economics & Statistics - http://www.defra.gov.uk/esg/
- Statistical Notices & News Releases
- Economics & Statistics Publications
- Summary of UK Food & Farming
A National Statistics publication produced by Defra
The content is produced to the standard required for National Statistics by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and provides a handy tool to assist informed discussion of environmental policies and developments both in the UK and in the international arena. Topics are reviewed at least annually with the latest data/information added as soon as practical after official publication. Corrections are made to information or data on an irregular basis when necessary. See What's New page for further information.
National Statistics are produced to high professional standards set out in the National Statistics Code of Practice. They undergo regular quality assurance reviews to ensure that they meet customer needs. They are produced free from any political interference.The National Statistician maintains professional responsibility for all outputs comprising National Statistics. A Statistics Commission, independent of both the Government and the producers of official statistics, publicly provides independent comment and advice on the National Statistics programme.
Contact Points: For general enquiries contact the public enquiry service at: Office for National Statistics, Cardiff Road, Newport, NP10 8XG.
Tel: +44 (0) 845 601 3034, Fax: +44 (0)1633 652747
Your questions and comments about information presented on this page are welcome. Contact information and Email . Copyright of data and/or information presented or attached in this document may not reside solely with this Department. Please see guidance on Copyright.
Page last modified: 14 August 2007
Page published: 31 March 2005