This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

How to apply for a refund of vehicle tax

You can apply for a refund of vehicle tax if you’re the current registered keeper or were the last registered keeper of your vehicle. A refund will only be paid if certain conditions are met.

When to apply for a refund

The tax disc and refund application must be posted before the first day of the month you’re claiming. Send them to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in Swansea or hand them into your nearest DVLA local office.

You must not apply for a refund if your vehicle is in the process of having its registration number transferred or retained.

How to apply for a refund

You can apply for a refund of vehicle tax with or without a tax disc.

With a tax disc

To get a refund you’ll need to complete a V14 ‘Application for a refund of vehicle tax’. Send the form and the tax disc to Refund Section, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AL.

Without a tax disc

To get a refund you’ll need to complete a V33 ‘Refund application where no licence disc is surrendered’. Send the form to Refund Section, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AL

The V33 form is only available at a DVLA local office or by phoning 0870 240 0010.

Vehicle has been stolen

As most vehicles are recovered within a few days of theft, wait at least seven days before applying for a refund.

If the tax disc isn’t recovered, you’ll need to provide details of the theft and crime reference number given by the police on the V33 form. If the tax disc is found after a refund has been paid, you must return the disc with a covering letter to Refund Section, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AL.

Making a SORN when applying for a refund

You'll need to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification), at the same time as applying for a refund, if you're keeping the vehicle and taking it off the public road.

An acknowledgement letter should be sent to you within four weeks and it’s sent separately to the refund. If you don’t receive the letter, please contact DVLA Customer Enquiries.

The amount you’ll be refunded

A refund is paid for each full month left to run on the tax disc at the time you apply for a refund. If you have a six-month tax disc, you paid an extra ten percent handling charge at the time of purchase. This isn’t included as part of your refund.

An administration fee of £7 is charged where the tax disc hasn’t been returned to DVLA.

A refund can’t be backdated.

When to expect your refund

Refunds take three to six weeks to process. Please allow up to six weeks for a refund to arrive before making enquiries.

Access keys