- Securing The Future
Securing the Future - UK Government sustainable development strategy
|Promo box left 1 title||Promo box right 1 title|
|Promo box left 2 title||Promo box right 2 title|
The UK Government launched its new strategy for sustainable development, Securing The Future, in conjunction with a Strategic Framework on 7 March, 2005. To order a hard copy visit The Stationery Office website.
The Strategy takes account of developments since the 1999 Strategy, both domestically and internationally; the changed structure of government in the UK with devolution to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland; greater emphasis on delivery at regional level and the new relationship between government and local authorities.
It takes account of new policies since 1999, and it highlights the renewed international push for sustainable development from the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg in 2002. The lead Department, Defra, chairs a Programme Board to oversee delivery of the Strategy, but all UK Departments share responsibility for making sustainable development a reality.
- Securing the future - complete document (PDF, 5680KB)
- Prime Minister's Foreword and Contents (PDF, 1588KB)
- Executive Summary (PDF, 1466KB) - view summary in other languages
- Chapter 1: A New Strategy (PDF, 435KB)
- Chapter 2: Helping People Make Better Choices (PDF, 588KB)
- Chapter 3: "OnePlanet Economy": Sustainable Consumption and Production (PDF, 400KB)
- Chapter 4: Confronting the greatest threat: Climate Change and Energy (PDF, 845KB)
- Chapter 5: A Future Without Regrets: Protecting Our Natural Resources and Enhancing the Environment (PDF, 1103KB)
- Chapter 6: From Local to Global: Creating Sustainable Communities and a Fairer World (PDF, 1452KB)
- Chapter 7: Ensuring it Happens (PDF, 425KB)
- Annex A (PDF, 76KB)
- Glossary (PDF, 185KB)
The Devolved Administrations are producing their own strategies.
'Choosing our future: Scotland's Sustainable Development Strategy' was published in December 2005.
The National Assembly has a legal duty to develop a Scheme setting out how they will promote sustainable development in exercising all their functions. Their first two Schemes were launched in November 2000 and March 2004. Their programme for putting the new Scheme into effect is set out in their 'Sustainable Development Action Plan', published in October 2004. View the scheme.
Northern Ireland's first sustainable development strategy, 'First Steps towards sustainability', was published on 9 May 2006.
Updated: 31 December 2005