Register as a large goods vehicle instructor
The Large Goods Vehicle Instructor Register
The large goods vehicle (LGV) instructor registration scheme aims to:
- increase the number of qualified LGV instructors
- raise the standards of training for lorry drivers
- broaden the opportunities for LGV driver training
- reduce the number of accidents involving LGVs
All potential and existing driving instructors, trainers, and unregistered instructors of driver training organisations are encouraged to apply for entry onto the LGV Instructor Register.
To qualify for entry onto the register, instructors must pass a three-part entrance examination. This comprises:
- a multiple choice theory test, which includes a hazard perception test
- a practical test of driving ability
- a practical test of instructional ability
An increase in the number of qualified instructors will allow more LGV drivers to improve their vehicle handling and road skills through professional training and subsequently the number of LGV road accidents should be reduced.
Subjects covered in this guide
LGV Instructors Register Section Helpline
0115 936 6502