This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Monday, 27 September 2010

The Over 80 Pension

The Over 80 Pension is a State Pension for people aged 80 or over who have little or no State Pension. Unlike other State Pensions, it's not based on National Insurance contributions.

Who is eligible?

You can claim if all the following apply to you:

  • you are aged 80 or over
  • you don't get basic State Pension, or your basic State Pension is less than £58.50 a week
  • you live in England, Scotland or Wales, and have done so for 10 years or more in any continuous period of 20 years which included the day before your 80th birthday or any day after it

How much do you get?

  • £58.50 a week if you don't get basic State Pension
  • if you're on a reduced basic State Pension - you'll get the difference between this reduced amount and £58.50

How it's paid

The Over 80 Pension is paid directly into your bank, building society, Post Office® or National Savings account.

If you're registered blind, or need someone who cares for you to collect the money, you can be sent a cheque to cash at the Post Office®.

Effect on other benefits

The Over 80 Pension, as with all pensions, counts as taxable income, so it may affect other income-related benefits you're getting.

You must include the Over 80 Pension as income if you're claiming other benefits.

How to claim

Ask your local Pension Centre, Jobcentre Plus or social security office to send you a claim form if you haven't got one within three months of your 80th birthday (and you don't already get a State Pension).

What to do if your circumstances change

If your circumstances change it could affect whether or not you're eligible for the Over 80 Pension.

It's important that you contact the office that deals with your payments if:

  • you go into (or leave) hospital or a health authority funded care home
  • go abroad to live or visit

Further information

If you have more questions about the Over 80 Pension, call The Pension Service helpline on 0845 606 0265. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 8.00 pm.

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Access keys