This snapshot, taken on
, shows web content acquired for preservation by The National Archives. External links, forms and search may not work in archived websites and contact details are likely to be out of date.
The UK Government Web Archive does not use cookies but some may be left in your browser from archived websites.

Freedom of Information – when and how to complain

Freedom of Information – when and how to complain

The Freedom of Information Act gives you the right to ask for official information from public authorities. If you think a public authority has wrongly withheld information or incorrectly handled a request, you can complain to us.

Please note that complaints made under the Freedom of Information Act should be submitted within two months of the outcome of internal review being issued.

Supporting evidence

For your complaint to be eligible for further consideration we will usually need you to provide us with supporting information or evidence.

If you send us this information together with your completed complaint form it will avoid delays that could result from us asking you to provide it later.

To find out what information you need to send us, please select the category below that most closely matches what you intend to complain about:

If you are still unsure what supporting evidence you will need to send to us, are not able to provide the information we need, or are unable to complete a form, please contact our Helpline on 0303 123 1113.

Make your complaint

Please note: some of our online complaints forms are undergoing development. In the meantime, please choose from the following options.

          1. Complete and save the form to your computer.
          2. Open a new email, with 'Complaint to the ICO' in the subject line.
          3. Attach this form and any other documents you wish to send us.
          4. Send to

  • By post: If your supporting evidence is in hard copy, you can fill in the online complaint form, print it out and post it to us with your supporting evidence

    Freedom of Information Act complaints form  (Word version)

          Send to:
          Customer Services Team
          Information Commissioner's Office
          Wycliffe House
          Water Lane
          SK9 5AF


For information about how we handle your data, please read our privacy notice.