Registering a Pesticide
Before any pesticide can be used, sold, supplied, advertised or stored it must be approved for use.
These approvals are granted by the Chemicals Regulation Directorate (CRD) on behalf of Ministers under a range of specific pesticide related legislation.
This website (www.pesticides.gov.uk) deals with the approval of agricultural, horticultural and home garden pesticides (also known as plant protection products). Non-agricultural (public hygiene) pesticides and biocides are also the responsibility of CRD. However, information about these products is held on the main HSE website at the following link: http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/index.htm .
Approvals are Required for the Following
- Any new product.
- Any changes to the use of an existing product. For example to extend use to a new crop or make additional claims for control.
- Any change to the formulation of an existing product (including changes in source of the active substance).
- To import a product from another country that is identical to one approved in the UK (parallel import).
- To test an unapproved pesticide in a situation where release into the environment will occur.
- To test an approved pesticide in an unapproved situation.
The Registration Process
How to Make an Application for Approval
Full details on how to submit an application are given in The Applicant Guide. What follows is a summary.
- Applications for approval must be made in writing using the relevant application form. Approval is given for uses of a product.
- Approval can only be given once all the data and/or information on the safety, efficacy and, where relevant, humaneness, of the pesticide are considered to be acceptable.
- All uses of a product must be supported by data. Data must be generated from work carried out to certain standards by appropriately recognised organisations (e.g. laboratories must be to Good Laboratory Practice (GLP), accredited, field work must be carried out by Officially Recognised organisations).
We are always willing to discuss the data required for approval of a pesticide if you require any further information.
Applications to CRD will be considered in different streams depending on the type of use and the active substance(s). When an application is received, we will sift it and assign it to the appropriate stream. You will be charged an appropriate fee for the evaluation of your application.
All applications are considered by the Registration Branch.