Licence - gambling premises
Last updated: 27/07/2011
Add to My Bookmarks
Introduction to the Gambling Act
Gambling premises are regulated by the Gambling Act 2005.
The Gambling Act came into force on 1 September 2007 and seeks to
strengthen consumer protection in relation to gambling whilst
reducing the burden of regulation. In doing so it replaces the
provisions of three existing Acts of Parliament:
- The Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act 1963
- The Gaming Act 1968
- The Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976
The Gambling Act 2005 sets three licensing objectives:
- Preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder,
being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support
- Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way,
- Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being
harmed or exploited by gambling
The Gambling Act 2005 also set up a new regulator, the
with powers to deal with gambling offences.
There are three types of licences issued under the Act:
- Operating Licence - Required by individuals or companies who
intend to provide facilities for gambling. This is granted by the
- Personal Licence - Required by directors/managers (Personal
Management Licence) and by those performing operational functions
e.g. croupiers (Personal Functional Licence). All personal licences
are granted by the Gambling Commission.
- Premises Licences – Required for premises where gambling will
take place. Premises licences are issued by the licensing
authority, in this case Cornwall Council. For more information,
click on the Premises Licences link below.
The Gambling Act regulates various types of gambling and
gaming. Further information can be found on the links
The Gambling Act 2005 requires licensing authorities to produce
a Statement of Principles. You can download Cornwall
Council's Gambling Act
2005 Statement of Principles here, or it can be inspected at
the offices of Licensing Services during normal office hours.
You can view a list of the current
gambling fees here. Please contact the Licensing Service
for more information.
Further information about gambling can be found on the following