The London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games promise to be the greatest sporting events in UK history.
Latest on this topic
Games safety and security plans to be tested
Exercises will test the readiness of government, police and agencies ahead of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Published 05 July 2011
London 2012 public information booklet
Information about how we plan to deliver a safe and secure Games in 2012.
Published 23 March 2011
Home Secretary announces huge fines for Games ticket touts
Fine of upto £20,000 for people illegally selling tickets to the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Published 10 March 2011
Let the Games begin!
Celebrations will begin with the torch relay in May, with the Games opening on 27 July 2012 and going right through to 9 September.
Together the Olympic and Paralympic Games will see around 14,700 athletes from 205 countries competing at venues in London and around the UK.
All this will take place alongside regular events such as Wimbledon and the Notting Hill Carnival, as well as celebrations for Her Majesty the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
Facts and figures
Some key numbers related to the Games:
- 14,700 athletes from 205 countries will compete
- 26 Olympic sports will take place in 34 venues
- 20 Paralympic sports will take place in 21 venues
- approximately eight million tickets will be sold for the Olympic Games, with another two million for the Paralympic Games
- 20,000 members of the world’s media are expected to attend.
The legacy of the Games
Security for the Games will leave a lasting positive legacy:
- making communities more resilient against crime and the threat from violent extremism
- improving relationships between police and other security agencies
- providing experience and knowledge that will help make other major sporting events - including the Commonwealth Games to be held in Glasgow in 2014 – even safer.
(Links will open in a new window)
We are not responsible for the content of external websites.
Please email the Home Office public enquiries email address if you have any questions.