Terms and Conditions
We would like to thank the owners of copyright of the images and items used on this site for granting us the necessary permissions for their use.
In some cases, despite our best efforts we have not always been able to locate the copyright holders. If you believe that any rights that are yours have inadvertently been infringed, we would ask you to contact us and to accept our apologies.
For private study or non commercial educational or research purposes as defined in the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended), material included in this website may be reproduced without seeking permission. For all other purposes, permission to reproduce or quote from copyright material included in the exhibition must be obtained from the copyright holders, as appropriate, and full acknowledgement must be made.
Terms and conditions for educational use
- Individual pupils/students/teachers can download and print off web pages from this website for educational purposes within the school or other educational establishments in the UK.
- "Educational establishments" are defined as schools, colleges of further and higher education, universities and colleges of nursing in the UK.
- Multi-copying for sharing of material in classes is covered under Educational Recording Agency (ERA) licence arrangements, provided your school/educational establishment takes out a licence.
- If the pupils/students cut, paste and re-order material, it must be within the context of the classroom only. Neither S35 of the Copyright Act, nor the ERA Licence permits any distortions, amendments or mutilations and licensees are required to respect and maintain the integrity of the work copied. However, extracts or part of a website or compilations of extracts can be made, provided it is for the educational purposes of registered students of the school/educational establishment.
- Pupils/students can take copies of material home provided it is for continuation of work started in the classroom, required by a teacher in the course of their normal educational studies.
- The schools/educational establishments should not provide copies of material to parents, or other members of the public, as it would be impossible for the school to ensure copies were being taken for personal use only. Copies can, however, be provided to teachers on in-service courses.
- Public display of a project which includes copies of material from this website cannot be allowed without specific permission/licence.
- Schools/educational establishments should keep records of any electronic copies of material in accordance with the ERA Licence principles, this includes labelling all copies with the date and title, together with the statement, "This electronic copy is to be used only under the terms of the ERA."
- Copies of material should NOT be used for any promotional, administrative or commercial purposes of the school/educational establishment.
- On no account should any copies be offered for sale, sold or hired out. Nor can copies be shown to fee-paying audiences or non-registered students.
Terms and conditions for individual use
Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions which take effect on the date from which you first use the site.
Material may not be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, posted, broadcast or transmitted in any way except for your own personal non-commercial home use.
Any other use requires the prior written permission of the Houses of Parliament.
You agree not to adapt, alter or create a derivative work from any of the material contained in this site or use it for any other purpose other than for your personal non-commercial use.
You agree to use this site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of this site by any third party.
This site and the information, names, images, pictures, logos and icons regarding or relating to the site, its products and services (or to third party products and services), is provided "AS IS" and on an "IS AVAILABLE" basis without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.
In no event will the Houses of Parliament be liable for any damages including, without limitation, indirect or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever arising from use or loss of use, data, or profits, whether in action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use of the site.
The Houses of Parliament do not warrant that the functions contained in the material contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs or represents the full functionality, accuracy, reliability of the materials.
If any of these Terms and Conditions should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these Terms and Conditions are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction which that Term or Condition is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from this clause and the remaining terms and conditions shall survive, remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable.
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Disputes arising here from shall be exclusively subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
If these Terms and Conditions are not accepted in full, the use of this site must be terminated immediately.